So I am officially a BYU Cougar! I'm loving life at Brigham Young University. My friends, my classes and just everything about this campus is AMAZING!! Thanks to my roommate, I got the idea to start a blog. I also stole the idea from her to have my first post be 100 things about me. So, here we go...
1. I am a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints and I am attending Brigham Young University. Yup, I'm a Mormon. I LOVE IT!!! My life is amazing and my church is such a big part of my life. It always has been, always will be.
2. My major is Elementary Education and I am minoring in ESL (English as a second language). I love kids and Spanish so what could be better than this major/minor combo?
3. I was born in Salt Lake City and grew up in Highland, Utah. At the age of 12 I moved with my family to Marquette, Michigan. I LOVE Marquette and miss it a TON!!! I miss the fall, all of the leaves changing; I also miss Lake Superior. Marquette is so beautiful, there is no where like it in the entire world.
4. Since coming to BYU, I have a wonderful little family that consists of myself, my roommate Heather and our friends, Alex and Sydney, Emily, David, Jordan and Alec. We have a hand-drawn family portrait drawn by yours truly hanging on our refrigerator. The side of our fridge is covered in pictures of our pseudo family. Next year we'll be down three members because our guys will be on missions. But that's ok. I'm so proud of them for wanting to serve the Lord. Even though we've only known each other for about a month, we have an AMAZING bond and the guys will surely be missed but the chicas can't wait to miss them :)
5. I'm not planning on getting married anytime soon (give me a few years ;) but when I do it will be in the Temple to a guy who worthily holds the Priesthood. The Priesthood has been such a blessing in my life and I cannot imagine living without it.
6. I'm only at 6 and am running out of things to say...ummm...let's see. I LOVE music! Luckily so does my roommate. We are constantly playing music whenever we are awake. I personally love country music and, thanks to my father, big hair bands from the 80's. I also like some pop music/Top 40 stuff and I absolutely LOVE pop latino. Some of my current favorite artists are Rascal Flatts, Lady Antebellum, Taylor Swift, Keith Urban, Chris Cagle, Jason Aldean, Zac Brown Band, Owl City, Boys Like Girls, Jason Durulo, Juanes, Julieta Venegas, Def Leppard, Bon Jovi, Motley Crue, Poison, Van Halen and my favorites, JOURNEY!!!
7. I play the piano and the organ (well kinda). I love to play the piano! I don't do it as often as I should but when I do it is so much fun. I like to play when I'm stressed, upset, or just need some time to myself. After playing the piano it is impossible for me to be mad or upset, I always leave the piano room happier than when I went in.
8. I also LOVE photography. I'm not a pro by any means but I still love it. Luckily I have a few friends who are into photography too. I love going on photo shoots with them. Especially in Marquette where you could be the worst photographer in the world and still come out with BEAUTIFUL pictures. I also love editing pictures almost as much as I love taking them. Picnik.com is a favorite site of mine :)
9. My favorite flowers are gerber daisies. Especially the brightly colored ones. They always make me happy :D
10. When I eat Lucky Charms I always eat the cereal first and save the marshmallows for last.
11. I like to cook and bake. I had a summer job working in the kitchen for a children's health camp and it was so much fun! By the end of the summer though I was ready to not cook for a while but now that I'm in school, I love it when it's my night to cook. On the weekends I enjoy baking treats and inviting friends over to eat them.
12. I LOVE peanut butter. If I don't have any peanut butter in the cupboard it is a very sad day :(
13. I also love milk and so does my roommate. This last week we drank 6 GALLONS of milk!!! Yeah, I don't know how we did it. Usually every week we have friends over for to eat at least once, usually twice. They contribute to our milk consumption but this week we only had one person come over for lunch and he didn't drink that much milk...This week we bought juice at the store so that we will not drink as much milk. Yup, Heather and I are officially milkaholics.
14. My roommate and I love having our friends over to do stuff. We are the only two out of the group that don't have any other roommates to worry about. We usually have everyone over for a Saturday breakfast every few weeks and will have two or three friends over for dinner about once a week.
15. Since being at BYU I haven't met another Meagan, Megan, Meghan or any other way of spelling the name. This is very strange for me because in every single class I've been in since Kindergarten there has been at least one, but usually two or three, other Megans (or any other way to spell the name) in my class with me.
16. I love cheesy pick-up lines. If you don't believe me just look at my facebook page and look at my notes. There is one with TONS of cheesy pick-up lines. If a guy were to use one on me (and do it jokingly, not in a creepy sort of way or anything) I would absolutely have to go on at least one date with him.
17. I like getting little notes or texts for no reason. I also like giving little notes and texts for no reason. It is so fun to get and give little things that are short and sweet that say what someone really means. One of the my favorite texts I've gotten recently says "You will do fine! You're smart! :)" It was really sweet and meant a lot because I was stressing over my mid-terms.
18. Yeah, I'm a worrier. I stress over lots of things. I know it's not good but I'm working on it. I really worry over the people that I love and things that are very important to me. During exams, you may not want to be around me. It is usually not a very happy time.
19. I sometimes can be one of the most stubborn people you have ever met. Yup, I'm a Callantine. My dad says that's where I get my stubbornness from...
20. I cannot sing to save my life. All of my friends here at the Y are FANTASTIC singers. It's kind of sad but totally awesome at the same time sitting between them at a devotional or other church function and just listen. They are amazing and I love listening to them.
21. I am in love with the 80's. If I could have been a teenager then I would be the happiest person alive. I love the music, the fashion, the movies, yeah pretty much everything.
22. I kind of like to grow my hair really long and then chop it all off and let it grow super long again. For instance, last summer right before I got my senior pictures taken, I got my hair cut short. I let it grow the entire year without cutting it. The day after graduation I cut my shoulder-length hair to about my chin. Then part way through the summer, one of my roommates at camp gave me a haircut. It shortened my hair to right below my ears. Now I'm letting it grow long again and probably won't get it cut before next summer.
23. My favorite movie is The Princess Bride. Hands down. Easily the best movie ever made. My second favorite movie is also an 80's film: Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure. "Be excellent to each other. And PARTY ON DUDES!!!"
24. I like to go out and do things. But I am also perfectly content to sit and talk and listen for hours. The best of both worlds though is to go and walk around while talking with one of your friends. It's crazy how two hours will fly by when you're just walking around and talking...
25. YAY!! A quarter of the way done! I suppose I should tell you about my family. I am the oldest of four kids. I have a 17 year old brother and a 13 year old brother and my baby sister will be 8 in February. I love them so much and miss them terribly. I also have a dog named Maggie. She's really dumb but I am even starting to miss her even though I'm enjoying the fact that none of my clothes or jackets or blankets have dog hair on them.
26. I love the night time. Actually I think my favorite time of day is sunset followed by the night. The colors can be so beautiful as the sun sets and then the sky is still beautiful when the stars come out. It's kind of a trade off: out here in Provo the sunsets are way better than they are in Marquette because you can actually see them :) but here in Provo you can't see as many stars. I mean there are some you can see but nothing beats the night time sky in Marquette.
27. I love dances! I love to dance! I'm horrible and have only taken one dance class in my entire life...I was 5. But I still love to dance. I have so many fond memories of dances. I have met a couple of very important people at dances who have definitely changed my life. Dancing, for me, is a way to let loose and have fun with your friends. I've learned the basics to waltzing and salsa dancing. I LOVE them both! I'm not very good but I would like to learn more. I really want to take a ballroom dance class while I'm here at BYU. That would be AWESOME!! Even if I'm not at a dance, my roommate and I will have our own dances. Dancing to Dynamite in the kitchen? Yeah, we do that often.
28. One thing I discovered at BYU that I love are chocolate covered cinnamon bears. Sounds weird but you have to try them. You'll love them :D
29. Another thing I can't get enough of is ice cream from the BYU creamery. While I miss Jilbert's Dairy back in Marquette, the Creamery here definitely gives it a run for its money. I'm pretty sure my favorite flavor is English Toffee. Apparently it is better than kissing....or so I've heard ;)
30. I LOVE to travel! I've been to at least half of the states I believe, and I've been to three countries outside the U.S. I've been to Canada (I suppose that counts), Cozumel, Mexico and Belize City, Belize. I want to go to Hawaii, Nashville, New York City, Boston, and Texas in the States. But I really want to go to Spain, Argentina, and Costa Rica before I die.
31. I love shoes. Just like every other girl right? I like to wear heels even though I'm tall (my dad hates it because when I wear them I am taller than him :) but I am a HUGE fan of flats. I have at least 7 pairs here at school and probably another 4 or so back at home.
32. I also love socks. Especially toe socks. I wear fun socks all the time unless I'm working out, then I wear boring white socks because I don't want to get my cute socks all gross and sweaty :P
33. I really enjoy helping people. I think that's part of the reason I want to become a teacher. But I'm always worrying about people and am always willing to help. I really love helping my friends. Hopefully they know that if they ever need anything (and I mean ANYthing) I'm always there. Just call and I'll listen if you need to be listened to, I'll bring you cookies if your brain is exploding, I'll call if you're having a bad day. I know they do the same for me.
34. I write. A lot. One of my favorite parts of the day is at night when I write in my journal. I go in phases when I write really well for a while and then I don't for quite a few months. When I'm in the swing of things though, I really enjoy it because it's a great way for me to reflect on the day and what has happened. I also really like to write poetry. But I only write it when I'm in the mood. That mood seems to only appear late at night, usually between 11:00pm and 2:00am is when my best fun writing is done.
35. Once I start a homework assignment I have to finish it before I can do anything else. Especially essays. I have to write them all at once. If I don't, my brain doesn't function well enough to make the essays make any sense at all.
36. I want to name my daughter Sekerra. It means cherry blossom in Japanese :D I also like the name Landon Carter (from A Walk to Remember) and Westly (from The Princess Bride) as boys names.
37. In case you couldn't tell by 36, I want to be a mom. That is the best job in the world that I can think of. It's going to be so fantastic when I can start a family. We will be together forever because I will not settle for anything less than a Temple marriage.
38. Oh the great color debate. So, I say my favorite color is pink but my mom says it is green because most things I own are green. A good majority of my shirts are green and my room back home is also green. So the answer is yes I like green, but pink is still my favorite color.
39. I hate eating cherries. They taste gross. And it's cannibalism.
40. I LOVE fruit! Ok, well most fruit. I do not like cherries (see above) or strawberries and I don't like bananas but I like banana bread. I'm pretty sure it's a texture thing. I love watermelon, grapes, fuji apples, and fresh pineapple. I cut my first real pineapple since living here in Provo. When my mom took me grocery shopping before school started, she bought me a fresh pineapple. It sat on the table in our kitchen for two weeks. It was considered a centerpiece by one of our friends. When I finally cut it (I learned how to cut it from howtocutapineapple.com, yes that is an actual site) my friend Alec was kind of upset that I destroyed the centerpiece for the table.
41. I love jewelry. Especially earrings. Every day I wear at least two rings (my class ring and a hugs and kisses ring that my mom got me when I was younger) and usually a pair of earrings. I love accessorizing. I usually have a hard time picking out what jewelry I'm going to wear with my outfit because I have a lot of cute things :D
42. If you want to make me happy give me a hug. I love hugs, like a lot. I don't really like them when I'm mad though. You will know when NOT to give me a hug but most of the time I am more than happy to receive a hug.
43. Curses is pretty much one of the best games in the history of the world. It's complete craziness when we play. There are lots of good memories with that game. I also LOVE Phase 10 and Five Crowns (our Girls Camp games :) I enjoy playing Mormon Bridge (aka Book of Mormon Thumps in my family) and Pit with mi familia.
44. More about my family: we are loud. Very loud and obnoxious but I love them anyways :) When we all get together, especially with my Uncle Russ, we are crazy. You can tell we love each other. We definitely like to tease and joke around. If you don't have a sense of humor, you won't fit in. You have to be willing to laugh at yourself and be able to take endless teasing from the guys of the family.
45. My Uncle Russ gave me a process by which to choose the college I was going to go to. I was to find three cute boys and assign each of them to one of my college choices (BYU, BYU-Idaho, and Central Michigan University) I was then to kiss each boy and whoever was the best kisser was the school I should go to. My parents didn't think this was such a good idea. Don't worry, I didn't kiss anyone. I made my decision based on prayer and fasting, not kissing ;)
46. I love clothes and I love shopping. Another favorite part of my day is every night when I lay out my clothes, jewelry and shoes for the next day. I love putting together outfits and figuring out what to do with my hair and make-up. It is very fun, unless I'm uber tired in the morning, then I throw on jeans and a t-shirt, maybe a hoodie if its cold, and attempt to do something with my hair and my face. But that doesn't happen too often, maybe once a week
47. I miss driving! This summer I drove probably, on average, 1-2 days a week. Now it has been over a month since I've sat behind the wheel. I miss my car! It is the most comfy far in the entire world! Anyone who has ridden in it will tell you that. The seats recline to a full 180 degrees. Yeah, it's pretty awesome. I miss riding around with my friends with the windows down blasting tunes and driving out to the island.
48. I love my cutoff sweats. I have three pairs here at school and if you come see me between classes or after I'm done with school (if I'm not doing anything later that night) there is a pretty good chance you'll see me wearing them. They are the most comfy things in the world. I love them and my mom hates them. Maybe that's why I like them so much...just kidding Mom :)
49. I like to scrapbook. I have boxes and boxes of scrap-booking supplies back home. I don't print pictures very often but when I do I have TONS to scrapbook. I'm kind of behind because I wasn't at home much this summer and didn't have much time to do it. Maybe that's a project for Christmas break.
50. Whoah! We're half way there! (WHOAH! Living on a prayer! Sorry I had to, it's the 80's child in me :) Ok what else...I LOVE sports! I love to watch and play football, I like to watch hockey but only live and in person, not on the TV. I also like to play and watch basketball on TV. Volleyball is fun to play and occasionally watch. I don't consider bowling a sport even though I was on the bowling team in high school. It's fun and I like to go bowling but it's just not a sport to me.
51. In high school I was voted Class Genius my senior year. Yeah, I don't know how THAT happened...
52. I have never broken or sprained anything. I also have never had stitches. The worst thing that has happened to me was that I hyper-extended my knee two or three times. Not fun.
53. Whenever it's 11:11 and I notice it, I make a wish :)
54. I love love. It's such a powerful thing. It's the world's greatest emotion. So much has happened because of love, it is definitely the strongest emotion ever.
55. I really loved high school. I DO NOT want to go back, but I had fun while I was there. I'm loving college and definitely like it way more than high school :D
56. I love sweatshirts. I have TONS! I like hoodies but I love my two hoodless sweatshirts. They are from the 80's. They make me happy. I also like to borrow hoodies. Even though I have TONS I always seem to forget to grab one.
57. I have a purse fetish. I have TONS of bags. But I only brought 3 or 4 bags to school with me. I definitely need to bring back a few others when I go home for Christmas.
58. Heather and I have great ideas on the weekends to start movies at midnight. We then proceed to watch part of them while eating popcorn (we have popcorn probably 3 or 4 times a week). I think since I've been here we have only completely watched 2 movies. She's the Man we fell asleep for part of it and we were watching The Princess Bride with Jordan and David and we had started it at like 10 instead of 12
59. Heather has got me watching Glee. Yeah, I'm hooked.
60. I like to color. For Christmas last year I got two coloring books and a 64 count box of crayons from one of my friends. I was so happy :D Then for my birthday, my aunt got me a HUGE poster to color. It's still not done but I started it...
61. I HATE the phrase "BYU Experience" which is kind of why I named my blog after it. Every time the phrase "BYU Experience" is said, my friend Jordan looks at me because he knows about my distaste for the phrase and likes to bother me about it. Then I stick my tongue out at him. Yup, we're mature.
62. Let me clear up one fact: I do not hate marriage. I hate how often it is brought up here at BYU but I am slowly becoming used to it being mentioned so often. I don't cringe and want to scream as often as I did 3 weeks ago.
63. Overheard @ BYU is AWESOME!!! I read it every day. It too makes me happy :)
64. If you cook for me, I will love you forever. (Especially if you bake me something, then I will REALLY love you forever :)
65. I love to read. I really like historical fiction and romances. And if they're LDS historical fiction or LDS romances I like them even more.
66. I love the temple! Since being here at BYU I have been to the temple three times! When I lived in Highland I could see the temple from my front yard. I then moved to Marquette and live 6-7 hours away from the temple. I came to appreciate it a lot more because it was a sacrifice to go, I had to give up an entire weekend to go. In fact, I missed my Junior Prom in order to go to the temple. Since I'm here, within walking distance of the temple, I have made it a goal to go at least every other week, hopefully I will end up going every week.
67. I don't usually watch youtube videos unless someone forces me to sit down and watch it. Jordan will introduce youtube videos to Heather who will then play them and sing them all the time. Then I yell at Jordan, kinda...I can't really get mad at him because he's Jordan.
68. I love the devotionals at BYU, they are every Tuesday at 11:00. I go with my friends and usually sit next to David. It's fun when I sit next to Sydney because she takes my notebook and writes funny things in it.
69. The only thing I like about winter is that I get to wear my yellow coat. It's pretty awesome. My friends are always able to find me.
70. I am horrible at playing video games in general. I can sometimes play Mario Kart and I can sort of do Guitar Hero on the easiest setting. Rock Band is my favorite because I am decent at the guitar, better at the drums and I can get perfect scores on the highest setting while singing. See 20...go figure.
71. I am pretty good at math. I didn't really like calculus and am happy that I don't have to take it again. I'm pretty good with numbers in general. I can do mental math pretty quick. Actually that's how I fall asleep sometimes, I do mental math problems and it bores me to sleep.
72. Apparently I sometimes talk in my sleep...
73. I love sleep. I love naps. I love sleep. I really love sleep.
74. I love my roommate! We met when we were 14 at Girls Camp and have been amazing friends ever since. It was sad that we only were able to see each other ever few months when there was a stake activity but when we were together we had a BLAST! Now we live together and it's pretty much one big party...sometimes it's a study party...sometimes...
75. 3/4 of the way there! I like to go on walks. Especially at night. I go on a walk probably at least once a week. In fact, I went on a walk tonight. We usually walk around the border of campus and just talk the whole time. We usually end up by the bell tower talking for a bit or down by the waterfall/duck pond. I love late night walks. They also make me happy. It is probably my favorite way to relax and unwind from the day.
76. I hate doing dishes. But I do them anyway. I hated doing dishes at home and here at school I still hate doing dishes but I don't mind it as much as I did back home. Same with laundry...I don't seem to mind it as much out here.
77. I like to go grocery shopping. I don't really know why, I just do. I don't like carrying the groceries home but I like going to the store with Heather. I push the cart and she is in charge of the list :)
78. During the winter, I have hot chocolate almost every morning. Stephen's Mint Hot Cocoa is pretty much the best thing on this planet.
79. I like dressing up most of the time. I like my skirts and dresses. They make me feel pretty :)
80. I hate ironing. I only have a few things that require ironing. And I don't wear those pieces of clothing very often.
81. I do not like science in general. I HATE chemistry and physics especially. I liked biology in high school, hopefully I'll still like it when I take it next semester.
82. I have always wondered why you bake cookies. Shouldn't they be called bakies?
83. When I watch TV, which isn't very often anymore, I like to watch Mythbusters, Everybody Loves Raymond, What Not to Wear, Dancing With the Stars and 24. 24 pretty much tops them all though.
84. I love Spanish! I miss talking to my brother in Spanish :( It drove the rest of our family crazy when we spoke to each other because no on else knew what we were saying.
85. I LOVE amusement parks. I really want to go to Six Flags in Chicago at some point in my life. I have been to Cedar Point and it was awesome! It is by far the best park I've been to in my life.
86. I miss swimming in Lake Superior. I swam there probably at least once a week during July and the first part of August. I miss the beach too. I loved just sitting and talking on the beach with my friends. What a great way to spend a lazy summer afternoon.
87. I like getting flowers. They always brighten up my day. Even just seeing flowers outside makes me smile.
88. I like stripes and polka dots. I like them separately and together. My sheets are striped and my blanket on my bed has polka dots on it. I really like my pink polka dot socks. They are pretty epic.
89. I do not like talking on the phone, usually. I'm starting to come around. I talk on the phone more than I used to but if I have the option, I prefer to talk in person.
90. 10 more things!! Fun fact: I love the Bee Gees.
91. I don't like running. There is a chance every once in a blue moon that I do go running but that really doesn't happen very often. When I do exercise I prefer go on a stationary bike, weight lift or do ab stuff. Last fall I took a yoga class and I LOVED it! I should really start to do it again...
92. My top five favorite holidays are Christmas, Thanksgiving, my birthday, Valentine's Day and the 4th of July.
93. Speaking of holidays...I like candy corn at Halloween, Conversation Hearts on Valentine's Day (they are even better if they are in Spanish ;), and Peeps on Easter. Give me any one of those candies any other time of the year and they make me sick. Conversation Hearts are definitely my favorite holiday candy ever! So good...mmmmm
94. If I had to live on one type of food, I think it would either be pasta or soup. I don't know which one. I love them both.
95. I got my driver's license when I was 16. It was a few months after my birthday because I had to finish Personal Progress first...
96. To scare my parents I tell them that if I end up being like them, I will be married in three years and they will be grandparents in five years. Yeah, it freaks them out, especially my dad...
97. I liked flying when I was younger but the last few flights I've been on I haven't enjoyed too much. I do not like the little puddle jumpers. They make me sick.
98. I had braces for all four years of high school. I got them on my freshman year and I got them off three days before the last day of my senior year. Now my teeth are straight and I like to smile a lot more :D
99. Apparently I look just like my dad. But I sound like my mom on the phone. I think I am a pretty good mix of the both of them personality wise. I love my parents sooooo much. Hopefully they miss me as much as I miss them.
100. I love life! I love where I'm at and what I'm doing. I have rough days but I wouldn't trade them for anything. It's all part of the experience. The bad days just make me appreciate the good days even more. Life is an amazing gift and I don't want to waste it. I try to be happy as much as I can be and if I'm not happy give me an hour or two and a hug. Then I'll be happy again.
Wow! This is really long. I actually did it! 100 things about me. That took a while to write but I'm glad that I did. I'm proud of you if you actually read all of them and made it all the way through. I'm going to try and post once a week about the things that happen here at BYU (my posts will be much shorter I'm sure). I'm loving it here and hopefully you'll like reading about my adventures. :D