Sunday, March 6, 2011

How Can I Be So Lucky?

Another week that has just flown by! Hard to believe that I am officially one week into the second half of the semester! Sometimes I wish that time would just slow down.  I wish there was more time to enjoy life.  While I do try to enjoy life as much as I can, it still seems like it isn't enough.  Somedays I just take a step back and look at my life and think "Wow.  I am really here.  I am really at BYU having the time of my life.  Life can't be this good.  It really can't.  How can I be so lucky?"

Sunshine: This has been another gorgeous week in the Bubble.  So much sunshine! You can't not smile :) I started running again this week and it really helped to have the sunshine be out.  It made me not so miserable on my runs ;) Well, I actually don't get too miserable while running.  It is hard but I alway feel fantastic afterwards that it is totally worth it.  I like the quote from Legally Blonde "Exercise gives you endorphins. Endorphins make you happy."

Devotional: The devotional was exceptionally good this week.  On the way out of the Marriott Center I heard a guy say to his friend, "Dude! That was such a bomb devo!" And that it was ;) It was all about how we chose to come to BYU for a reason.  How BYU is very different because every class, no matter what the subject is, is taught with the Spirit.  It is so true! Almost all of my classes start with a prayer and it isn't unusual for a professor to pull a scripture into our lecture for the day.  I mean, where else in the world would you diagram sentences in Spanish from the Book of Mormon? The speaker also talked about one of the aims of BYU, "Become a lifelong learner." He used a quote from James E. Faust that I really liked, "Learning is more than cramming for tests.  Education is more than bulimia at exam time." It really made me think about how I am treating my education.  Am I a student or am I a learner?

Basketball: The last two games of the season were this week, one on Wednesday and one on Saturday.  Wednesday night was so depressing.  After the whole Brandon Davies fiasco, we fell apart.  New Mexico KILLED us.  It took a long time of me yelling at the TV before Coach Rose finally listened to me and went to a man-to-man defense instead of a zone.  We also started to take less threes and go for buckets in the paint.  Emily and I made a goal for the Cougars to get within 20 points by the end of the game.  We did. New Mexico 82- Cougars 64. Saturday's game I was much more impressed with.  We played Wyoming and won 102-78.  We actually played as a team! It was really nice to see everyone step up and to have a lot of other people scoring, not just having a Jimmer show.  I was very happy with Charles Abouo and  Kyle Collinsworth.  They were AMAZING and really stepped up their game.  And of course you can't forget my favorite, Jackson Emery, finishing his last home game with 18 points.  Now onto the Mountain West Conference Championships!!

Temple: I went to the Temple by myself this week and it was great! It was a lovely walk both there and back.  And it was not overly crowded like it is some Friday nights.  I took my journal this time and wrote for most of the time I was waiting.  I filled many pages and it was such a good feeling.  I wrote my testimony.  I have never really done that before.  It was so peaceful, just writing what I know to be true and how I feel about the Gospel.

Date Night: After getting out of the Temple, I checked my phone to see that I had a missed call from my friend Jason.  So I called him back to see what he needed and he asked me on a date :) We went to go see Tangled in 3D with Jason's roommate Carlos and his girlfriend.  The movie was so cute! It was the second time I had seen it and I love it even more now :) There was a miscommunication about the time so Jason ended up picking me up early so we just played Nertz at his apartment.  I was quite proud of myself, I held my own and didn't lose horribly like I usually do. (Thank you FHE!) But I think my favorite part of the night was when we were going to the movie.  Jason opened the car door for me, something that has never happened to me before, ever.  When we got to the theater, I started to open the door but he pulled it shut and told me to wait.  He then came around and opened the door for me again! I really didn't think guys did that anymore.  It was a very nice surprise.  :)

Fireside: This week there was another fireside after church.  This week I was lucky enough to hear from Elder L. Tom Perry! The main theme of his talk was us stepping up and becoming the greatest generation.  It was very, very good.

No comments: