Saturday, January 1, 2011

Big Year, Big Changes

2010 has been a HUGE year for me.  I have had so many new experiences that have really helped shape me this year.  This post is to recap 2010 for me, to remind me of how far I've come since January 1st, 2010.  In short, here are the highlights of each month of 2010.

BRAND NEW YEAR!! January was the first month of the big year :) I found out that I had received a full ride four year scholarship to Central Michigan University.  I also went on an AP Government trip to Lansing downstate.  
We Da Peeps

Ah February, the month of "Single Awareness Day" and probably the month with the greatest stress for me.  I had to decide if I was going to accept the scholarship to Central or go to Brigham Young University.  Doesn't seem too bad right? WRONG! I had to decide BEFORE I knew if I for sure got in to BYU.  It was super scary.  Luckily, I heard back from BYU before I had to tell Central my decision.  If you're reading this, I'm going to assume that you know the answer...and if you don't just keep reading and you'll figure it out ;) The other major even that happened in February was bowling finals downstate. Bowling is always fun because I get to goof off with my friends.  Putting the three of us in one hotel room together means epic craziness for 3 days :D
Meagans with red spirit hair can only mean one thing...BOWLING FINALS!

My 18th birthday was this month! For part of my present I went out to Utah with my daddy and toured BYU and visited with my grandparents.  I went Prom dress shopping and got a GORGEOUS one for another part of my present :)  My actual birthday was unforgettable.  TWIRP (my high school's preference dance) was held the night of my birthday.  We went on a scavenger hunt at Wal-Mart before going to dinner at Border Grill where my friends stuck a candle in my salsa and sang to me.  We then took pictures around town before going to the dance.  Super fun and unforgettable day.
Me and Cody (my date :) and my B-E-A-U-TIFUL corsage

Two main events in April: Spring Break and Prom.  They both happened within two weeks of each other! For Spring Break (since my dad nixed Costa Rica with the Spanish Club) our family went on a cruise to Cozumel, Mexico and Belize City, Belize.  It was really fun.  I quite enjoyed it and I almost made it the entire vacation without burning to a crisp, then I fell asleep by the pool at our hotel in Miami...
Hannah and I on our hotel balcony in Miami

Beto y yo on the ship
Prom was fun.  This year was different and instead of having it in the high school gym, we had it at Upfront and Company (a restaurant downtown by the lake).  It was an interesting night to say the least...I think my favorite part was being literally stuffed into my car so that I could drive xD
My Prom date Kyle and I
May was a CRAZY month filled with track, AP testing, friends, memories, awards, many things that I think it will be best explained through pictures. 
 I was a counselor for a 5th grade overnight camp.  Here I am with my girlies :)

 Here I am at the Excellence in Education banquet with my spanish teacher and my friend Max.  By simply going to this banquet to accept a scholarship, I pretty much paid for my first semester of college!

Me and my daddy at Seminary Graduation: no more waking up at 5:30 am for me :D

Top 10 of the MSHS Class of 2010
This was after we were "honored" at a school board meeting in a room that was at least 80 degrees :(

Me and two of my best friends at the Local Scholarship ceremony.

Me with my Kaufman Award AND this is the first picture of me with my braces off! After 4 long years of having metal in my mouth, I finally said good-bye three days before I was done with high school.

Last day of school! Last day of school! Here is the group on our last day of lunch together :'(

If I had my last day of school in May that means that June brought GRADUATION! I graduated from Marquette Senior High School within the top ten of my class.  It was rainy and yucky the days leading up to graduation but luckily it was only cold for my graduation party.  We woke up Sunday morning to find it raining, just perfect for graduation :P As the choir sang "Here Comes the Sun" during our ceremony, the sun actually did come out and picture taking after the ceremony was so much more pleasant.  The night of graduation, our school hosted an all night party for us.  It was lots of fun and I ended up staying awake for 36 consecutive hours (my current record).  Later in June I got a job working at Bay Cliff Health Camp in the kitchen.  It made for a long summer but it was fun :)
Me with my "shrine" at my graduation party 
This is probably my favorite picture from graduation.  I was told by my grandparents to shrink :)

My friends from high school and I at the beach watching the sunrise after our all night party.  By this point we had all been up for 22 consecutive hours.

This is one of my first pictures from work (which will now be referred to as camp). The week before the campers came, the staff were invited to do the "Polar Bear Plunge" where we jumped in Lake Superior at 6:00 one morning and watched the sun rise as we dried off.  It was super fun and totally worth getting up so early :)

July consisted mostly of work at camp.  I spent many afternoons at the beach and cooling off in the chilly Lake Superior but it was so refreshing to get chilled after working all morning and most of the afternoon in the hot kitchen.  There was also Fire on the Bay which is where locals put on a huge fireworks show for the campers (and other nearby residents :)
Jenn and I spending an afternoon at the beach.

Some of my friends came to visit me and watch fireworks!

August brought the end of camp and the closing banquet.  It also brought me moving out to Utah to go to school at Brigham Young University.  On my way out to school, I found out some terrible news: one of my classmates who I graduated with died in a motorcycle accident.  It was a very rough few weeks for me being alone, away from my family and not being back in Marquette to comfort or be comforted by anyone.  The 14th of every month is still hard but Danny is always in my heart.  I started school a week early and participated in a program called Late Summer Honors.  That is where I made my first friend at BYU who in turn introduced me and made it possible for me to make so many MORE friends.  All of my close friends at BYU came via Alex and the Late Summer Honors program. 
Miss Jenn, me, and Miss Jelly at the closing banquet at camp. (My hair was SO SHORT!!)

Me and Alex at a Late Summer Honors dance

To start out September I had my first week of classes followed by spending Labor Day weekend at my family’s homes.  Also in September I developed the friendships I had with the amazing people that I had met at school.  We started the Breakfast Club, where we meet occasionally for breakfast on Saturday mornings just to catch up with each other and have fun :) I made a goal to go to the Temple at least three times a month and I did very well on that goal…except for the fact that I haven’t been to the Temple since Thanksgiving…but when I did go it was fantastic and a great thing to look forward to every week.  I hope to try it again this next semester :) Speaking of Temples, David, Heather and I went to Temple Square one Saturday night for fun in September too. 
Me and three of my cousins on Labor Day
My Chicas: Heather, Alex, Sydney and Emily
They are the best and help me with so much <3
My artistic interpretation of the Breakfast Club.  We have
Alex, Sydney, Emily, Alec, Heather, Jordan, Me, and David

Sydney, David and I on one of our Temple trips :)

David, me and Heather in front of the Salt Lake City Temple 

October brought another month of school.  More tests, more papers, more college life in general.  At the beginning of the month Heather’s friend Aaron came and spent a night hanging out with us wandering around campus.  Homecoming was also in October.  I participated in a few of the Homecoming activities such as hiking and lighting the Y, watching the parade and going to the football and soccer games.  Homecoming is a super fun week and a great way to break up the monotony of school.  I spent a weekend at my grandparents’ house again and my aunt convinced me to run a 5K with her on Thanksgiving Day.  I reluctantly said yes and I started training.  I actually found out that I don’t hate running like I thought I did.  It is nice to have 15 or 20 minutes to myself in the mornings just listening to my music or just thinking.  And last but not least was Halloween.  Heather and I were Mac and PC.  We went to a stake dance and had a blast hanging out and dancing with our friends.

Me with Heather and Aaron wandering around campus
Heather and I on Y Mountain
Emily and I at the parade
Heather, David and I at the football game. (We won in case you were wondering :)
After one of my morning runs.  I believe this was taken the morning that it snowed...
Heather and I just before going to the Halloween dance

The first week of November was Missionary Week on campus.  Heather and I went on a Facebook fast (which was hard but super nice at the same time) in honor to strive to live like missionaries.  There was a wonderful fireside and we were invited to participate in a fast one day and to fast for something missionary related.  I fasted and got an answer which was wonderful :) Later in November, I went on my first date of the semester! Woohoo!! My date's name was Jason and we went to see Despicable Me (which was super cute) followed by ice cream and watching Youtube videos until 1:00 am.  I was successful in introducing him to Julian Smith :D There was also Thanksgiving break.  I spent the week of Thanksgiving at my grandparents and had a wonderful time.  I ran my first ever 5K with my aunt in 5-degree weather but I actually had fun and plan on doing it again.  I also got super sick after Black Friday shopping and was really sick the first few days I was back at school.
My aunt and I after our 5K!
Two of my cousins (no they're not twins) and I one night.  I babysat them and their other two siblings over Thanksgiving break while their parents spent the night in Salt Lake.  

Let's see....I went on my first ever date where the GUY asked ME! Jason took me to a Christmas concert by the various choirs and the Philharmonic Orchestra at BYU.  After we ate peppermint ice cream from the Creamery and walked around campus feeling very Christmas-y.  There was also (duh, Duh, DUHHH) every college student's worst nightmare: FINALS! I spent at least 15 hours in the library over the course of 3 days studying (I really was surprised that I still had friends after that weekend ;) I took my finals on the Monday and Tuesday so I could fly home on Wednesday! Being home is FANTASTIC! I have spent a lot of time with my family, which has been amazing.  I spent some time with two of my best friends: Brittony and Kelly doing traditions that I always do with each of them.  Cards and talking with Brittony and picture taking, Border Grill, and rocking out in my car with Kelly.  
Heather and I taking a study break. I'm SO glad finals are over!
 While I was home we got family pictures taken :)
Kelly and I on a traditional picture taking adventure.  

1 comment:

Meagan said...

what were you doing up at 1:43 AM ???